Recently we had a lot of oranges and we had to evaluate them. Here is how we made them healthy and delicious snacks.
We made delicious candies from the peel of the orange we peeled first. And cooked the inside of the oranges with sugar and made them marmalade.
Our orange marmalade recipe is made with ordinary oranges. If you love candied oranges and fruit preserves, I bet you’ll be making this regularly.
Orange Marmalade Ingredients:
Oranges, some lemons (as you wish), and some sugar. That’s it. Don’t let the amount of sugar put you off, though. After all, you will only be eating it by the spoonful…hopefully!
Orange Marmalade Recipe:
- First, you gather your citrus and give them all a good scrub to remove any wax on the skin.
- Then with a sharp knife, cut the fruit in half, removing any errant seeds, and very thinly slice the halves up, skin, fruit, and all.
- Boil the fruit in water until softened. Turn off the heat and add the sugar, then allow the whole pot to cool out on the counter to soften the fruit even more. (If you wanted to add a cinnamon stick, vanilla bean, or a couple of whole star anise to the marmalade, now is the time to do it.)
- Bring the sugar and fruit mixture to a boil and then simmer for another couple hours, stirring occasionally.
- After simmering, turn the heat turned up a bit until the marmalade has thickened.
How can you tell if Orange Marmalade is ready?True, it can be tricky to know how runny or thick marmalade should be, especially when it’s still cooking. Once cooked marmalade cools, it will thicken up. But when can you stop cooking marmalade?
- If the mixture wrinkles slightly when you draw a spoon or finger across it, it has reached the setting point. Your marmalade is ready to go!
- By the way, the orange marmalade takes 24-48 hours for the natural pectin to set up completely. If your marmalade is still a little runny looking when it cools, check again in a day or two. I bet it will be fine.
Candied Orange Sticks Ingredients:
Orange peels, sugar, 1 stick cinnamon.
Candied Orange Sticks Recipe:
- Finely chop orange peels,-Extract and discard the white parts,
- Put it in a saucepan, put enough water over it, and boil it with cinnamon if you wish
- .Pour the candies into the baking tray where you spread oiled paper. Wait about 1 hour and let it cool down.
- Allow the cooled candies to dry in the oven at 100 degrees for 20 minutes and let them dry.
You will see two different recipes in this short video.